Wednesday, October 08, 2014

WHY-Wednesday: Why I barely wash my kids' hands.



That's right.  I'm winning no Mother of the Year trophy here.

I hardly ever wash my kids' hands.

My children are only one step away from eating straight off the floor.
If they are lucky, they'll get wiped down with a damp rag and some soap right before a meal.
If they are lucky.

(Yes, yes... I will wash their hands (and mine!) after they use the toilet.  No need to panic here.)

There is a little game I like to play in my mind called "Watch That Large Family Over There."  
It consists in paying close attention to large in size (as in four or more children) families.

Large families are an amazing gift to me.  They reveal to me what is ultimately important.
You see, they have so much going on, they have to prioritize in order to survive.

They don't run around carrying six different diaper bags.
They don't freak out when their babies miss a nap.
They go to Sunday night church.
They have family movie nights and stay up late watching TV with them.
Their kids play with the iPad/iPhone while they go grocery shopping.
They don't stress over unclean hands.


A second thought--

MOST people in the world live in extreme poverty.
Extreme poverty.
As in they-live-in-dirt-houses-with-dirt-floors-and-with-no-toilets kind of poverty.
This is the vast majority of the world, people.

Please realize that a(n) (almost) germ-free life is a luxury.
Maybe privilege would be a better word.  Right up there with education... maybe.

Does this mean that because so many people all around the world don't have running water, that we should scarcely wash our own hands?
No, but it does remind us that it probably isn't that big of a deal.

2 comments:

byandanne said...

I'm glad I get to be your kids' Memma!!

MOM said...

I don't agree with the lack of priority to hygiene. This post is fun to read because you added the photo of BB looking as if he ate dirt, but germs and viruses are not to be taken so lightly. BE CAREFUL and WASH those hands when they are on the floor! Sorry.